Thursday, March 4, 2010

Physical Therapy

Well, I started PT this week. Let me just clarify a little about my back pain. I don't want anyone thinking that I'm just a wimp (even tho I am). It's not just normal, o my back is tired and if I sit down I will feel better, pain. It is sharp, shooting, stabbing pain mostly in my right hip and quite often shooting down my right leg towards my ankle. It has been so bad at times that after school, I can hardly walk because it hurts so bad.

Ok, so I met with my physical therapist on Monday and we went over all my symptoms, pain, etc. She made me do a lot of stretching tests to figure out exactly where my pain is coming from. She said that my pain is coming from my SI joint, which is the joint where your tailbone meets your pelvis, basically. What happens when you are pregnant is that all of these hormones make all your joints and muscles loosen up so the baby has room to grow. You also have a lot of nerve endings down there too, including the sciatic nerve. Mine have loosened up too much and my joints are moving around too much and that is why I am in a lot of pain.

So then, she gave me a nice back rub on my right side :) Then she made me do a lot of modified pilate stretches. Our goal is to tighten up my core muscles so that my joints aren't moving around as much, thus creating less pain. I am suppose to do all of my stretches at least once a day at home and if I have time twice a day. Then she hooked me up to this electrode thingy that made my back tingle. It felt so good and they turned the lights down and I almost fell asleep. The electrode thingy causes more blood flow to the area and it also acts as a pain blocker to that area. I must say that the entire next day I felt amazing! My back felt better than it has in forever! I went back Wednesday and I got my back rub, did my stretches, hooked up to the electrode thingy and she twisted me into a pretzel. She said that one of my discs in my lower back was twisted so she fixed it by twisting me into a pretzel. It didn't hurt it was just really awkward and she fixed it so thats good. Right now I will be going twice a week and we will just see how it goes.

O and by the way we finally picked out first names!!!!! We aren't telling tho, so it will be a while before you know what they are. We will tell you that the names start with the letters T and L. We would love to hear your guesses! Now for middle names......

7 comments:

  1. Lia (like star wars)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, the obvious guess for a boy would be Tom or Larry. I have no clue for a girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Y'all can guess all you want, she's not gonna tell you! Well, I could see her telling Alisha, but none of the rest of us!

    ReplyDelete